Being ‘in/on time’
There are a few really simple expressions using the word ‘ทัน’ that are useful in a number of situations.
Let’s look at some easy examples first: If you don’t already know these – you need them in your SRS.
อ่านไม่ทัน this is a really good one – it might mean any of the following depending on the situation –
- Maybe you are trying to keep up with a karaoke song (in Thai I hope!) and parts or all of it are just too fast for you? อ่านไม่ทัน !
- Or perhaps you are watching a movie in a language you don’t know w/ Thai sub-titles and you can’t catch everything? อ่านไม่ทัน !
- อาจจะ you need to read a few books/articles/papers/etc for school or work by a certain date and you are worried that you don’t have enough time to read everything… อ่านไม่ทัน !
ฟังไม่ัทัน – Also quite useful –
- If you are listening to a song and can’t quite process the words fast enough to completely understand it …you can say ฟังไม่ัทัน
- When someone is talking to/around you and they are speaking too fast for you to get the gist of what they are saying…you can tell them ฟังไม่ัทัน
- Or if its too much and you can only catch a word (just want to express your helplessness) you can say ฟังทันคำเดียว I only caught 1 word
- Your friend invites you to see a movie at เมเจอร์ ซีนีเพล็กซ์ at a certain showtime and you are afraid you can’t make it there in time ….you say ไปไม่ทัน
- You want to take a train at noon, but you woke up late…. ไปไม่ทัน
And here are some longer sentences to give you some context
- เราคุยกันสนุกมากจนไปดูหนังไม่ทัน We had such a good time talking that we missed the movie. (in the sense that the time passed to the point where we couldn’t make it even if we tried)
- ถ้ารถติดไม่ทันแน่ If there is traffic, we won’t make it (on time) for sure.
- ถ้าสั่งวันนี้จะทันไหม ? If I order it today, will I get it on time? (Maybe you need something by tomorrow and you want to clarify if it can be finished by then.)
- ไม่หยุดทัน Not able to stop in time (driving)
- สมัครทันไหม apply in time (as in send an application before the expiry/due date)